The United States has made remarkable progress on equality in a relatively short amount of time. But there is still much work to be done. In many states, it is still legal to fire someone for being gay. Incredibly, it is still legal to deny someone housing or service in the military for being transgender. That is unacceptable and must change. We must end discrimination in all forms. We must:
- Pass the Equality Act, the Every Child Deserves a Family Act and other bills to prohibit discrimination against LGBTQ+ people.
- Ensure LGBTQ+ people have comprehensive health insurance without discrimination from providers.
- Protect the rights of LGBTQ+ people around the world.
- Advance policies to ensure students can attend school without fear of bullying, and work to substantially reduce suicides.
- Support police departments that adopt policies to ensure fairer interactions with transgender people, especially transgender women of color who are often targeted by police unfairly, and by instituting training programs to promote compliance with fair policies.
- Fight discrimination against LGBTQ+ people by creditors and banks so that people will not be unfairly denied mortgages, credit cards, or student loans.
- Strongly oppose any legislation that purports to “protect” religious liberty at the expense of others’ rights.