[Last Updated May 29, 2018]
What is Personal Information?
VISITORS TO THE SITES
Friends of Bernie Sanders operates in the United States and the information we collect is governed by U.S. law.
International Visitors. The Sites are designed for and targeted to U.S. audiences and are governed by and operated in accordance with the laws of the U.S., including California Civil Code Section 1798.83. Friends of Bernie Sanders makes no representation that the Sites are operated in accordance with the laws or regulations of, or governed by, other nations.
Collection of Personal Information
Direct Collection. We collect Personal Information that you provide to us when you register, send us an email, sign up to receive email or text messages, sign up to volunteer, fill out a form, make a purchase or donation, communicate with us through third-party social feeds, request information, participate in active forums or take any other action on the Sites. As required by the Federal Election Commission (FEC), we must also collect and disclose the name, address, occupation, and employer of all donors whose donations exceed $200 during the election cycle. We may also obtain information from outside sources and combine it with the information we collect through the Sites. This Policy also applies to Personal Information that we may obtain from third-party vendors such as search engines or social media sites.
Aggregate and Similar Information. We may automatically collect information when you visit the Sites such as the Internet Protocol (IP) address, the browser and operating system you use, the name of the domain and host from which you access the Internet, the address of the website from which you linked to the Sites, device identifiers, and mobile and network information, and your actions on the Sites. This information will be treated as Personal Information if we combine or link it to any of the identifying information above. Otherwise, this information constitutes aggregate information.
We may also collect “log data.” Log data provides aggregate information about the number of visits to different pages on the Sites. We use log data for troubleshooting purposes and to track which pages people visit in order to improve the Sites. We do not link log data collected to Personal Information. Third-party vendors may also collect aggregate log data independently from us. However, we are not responsible for the content or privacy policies of these third-party vendors. We encourage you to read the privacy policies and review the practices of all websites you visit.
We may communicate with third-party vendors, including Google, and place online advertising, which will be shown on other websites on the Internet. In some cases, those third-party vendors may decide which ads to show you based on your prior visits to the Sites. At no time will you be personally identified to those third-party vendors, nor will any of the information you share with us be shared with those third-party vendors. If you prefer to opt out of the use of these third-party cookies on the Sites, you can do so by visiting the Network Advertising opt out page: www.networkadvertising.org.
We may also use third-party services such as Google Analytics. This helps us understand traffic patterns and know if there are problems with the Sites. We may also use embedded images in emails to track open rates for our mailings, so that we can tell which mailings appeal most to our supporters.
Petitions. Any petitions that you have signed online, and any comments therewith, constitute public information that we may provide to local, state, or national political leaders and the press.
THIRD PARTY WEBSITES
How We Use Your Personal Information
We may use your Personal Information for various purposes including to:
- Connect you to Friends of Bernie Sanders programs, events, and activities, and obtain and confirm RSVP’s to events and programs;
- Improve, maintain, and operate the Sites, send you receipts, confirmations, updates, notices, and messages regarding support and administration;
- Provide and deliver news and information we think will interest you, such as information about relevant issues, resources, events, campaigns, candidates, events, promotions, products, and services;
- Provide information or products that you request and process and complete such transactions;
- Respond to your emails, requests, comments, submissions, and questions, and provide customer service, request feedback, and otherwise communicate with you regarding your use of the Sites;
- Help connect you with other Friends of Bernie Sanders supporters, and to solicit donations, support, and volunteers;
- Monitor and analyze trends and site usage and provide features and content that match your interests based on the information you provide and your actions on the Sites;
- To manage our business;
- To notify you of changes to our Sites;
- Contact you if required by Federal election laws.
- For any other purpose for which the information was collected; and
- To communicate with you, including through newsletters and email notifications, confirmations, technical notices, updates, security alerts, as well as regarding support and administrative messages that you may request. We want to communicate with you only if you want to hear from us. We try to keep emails to a minimum and give you the ability to opt in to any marketing communications we send. You may also elect to receive certain marketing email communications, in accordance with your preferences, and from which you may opt out at any time by adjusting your notification settings or using the “unsubscribe” link in the relevant correspondence.
How We Share Your Personal Information
Though we make every effort to preserve your privacy, we may share Personal information as follows:
- When we have a good-faith belief that release is appropriate to comply with the law (for example, a lawful subpoena);
- To protect the rights or property or safety of our supporters, employees, volunteers, or others;
- With vendors, service providers, consultants, employees, contractors, or volunteers who need to know such information to carry out their duties;
- With groups, causes, organizations, or candidates we believe have similar views, goals, and principles;
- To report your name, address, occupation, employer, and amount contributed if your donation exceeds $200, as required by the FEC;
- With your consent.
How We Protect AND RETAIN the Information You Provide
Friends of Bernie Sanders uses reasonable industry-standard security measures to protect against the loss, misuse, theft, unauthorized access, destruction or alteration of the information under our control. Although we make good faith efforts to store information collected by the Sites in a secure operating environment, we cannot guarantee complete security.
How to Unsubscribe or Opt Out
Those who subscribe to email lists via the Sites will receive periodic updates from us by regular mail, fax, or email. You may opt out of receiving future information via email by using the unsubscribe procedure specified on the email message. You may also contact us at email@example.com if you no longer wish to receive communications regarding Friends of Bernie Sanders or the Sites.
REJECTING COOKIES / DO NOT TRACK
Most web browsers are set to accept cookies by default. If you prefer, you can usually choose to set your browser to remove or reject browser cookies. If you choose to reject all cookies, you may be unable to use certain areas of the Sites.
Some browsers have incorporated “Do Not Track” features. Most of these features, when turned on, send a signal or preference to the website or online service that a user visits, indicating that the user does not wish to be tracked. California law requires that an operator of a website or other online service disclose how the operator responds to a Do Not Track signal and whether third parties may collect personal information about an individual’s online activities from the operator’s website or online service. Friends of Bernie Sanders is committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected through the Services, however please be aware that the Internet industry is currently still working on Do Not Track standards.
CALIFORNIA PRIVACY RIGHTS
Effective January 1, 2005, under California Civil Code Section 1798.83, if an individual who is a California resident has provided Personal Information to a business in connection with a business relationship that is primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, and if that business has within the immediately preceding calendar year disclosed such an individual’s Personal Information to a third party and knows or should have known that such third party used the information for its own direct marketing purposes, then that business is obligated to disclose in writing to such individual upon request, what Personal Information was shared and with whom it was shared. Any request for a disclosure required under this California law should be sent to us via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via regular mail at:
Friends of Bernie Sanders
PO Box 391
Burlington, VT 05402
Please note that under this law, we are not required to respond to your request more than once in a calendar year, nor are we required to respond to any request that is not sent to the email or mailing address designated above.
Additional information for international visitors
The Sites are hosted in and provided from the United States. While we do not direct our services to residents of the European Union (or European Economic Area; together, “EU”), it is possible that EU residents may access and use the Sites. If you use the Sites and/or reside in the EU, Canada, or other regions with laws governing data collection and use that may differ from U.S. law, please note that you may be transferring your personal data to the United States.
- to withdraw your consent to the processing of Personal Information about you to which you have previously given consent;
- to object to processing of Personal Information about you for the purpose of direct marketing; and
- to have incorrect Personal Information about you corrected.
You also have the right to obtain a copy of the Personal Information we have about you, although we reserve the right to charge a fee for this.
Some browsers have incorporated “Do Not Track” features. Most of these features, when turned on, send a signal or preference to a website or online service that a user visits, indicating that the user does not wish to be tracked. California law requires that an operator of a website or other online service disclose how the operator responds to a Do Not Track signal and whether third parties may collect personal information about an individual’s online activities from the operator’s website or online service. Friends of Bernie Sanders is committed to providing you with meaningful choices about the information collected through the Sites, however please be aware that the Internet industry is currently still working on Do Not Track standards, implementations and solutions, and therefore the Sites may or may not respond to those signals.
California law also provides California residents with the right to receive disclosures about any sharing of their Personal Information to a business in connection with a business relationship that is primarily for personal, family, or household purposes, and if that business has within the immediately preceding calendar year disclosed such an individual’s Personal Information to a third-party and knows or should have known that such third-party used the information for its own direct marketing purposes, then that business is obligated to disclose in writing to such individual upon request, what Personal Information was shared and with whom it was shared. Any request for a disclosure required under this California law should be sent to us via email at email@example.com or via regular mail at Friends of Bernie Sanders, PO Box 391 Burlington, VT 05402.
How To Contact Us