We are spending $80 billion a year to lock up 2.2 million people, hundreds of thousands of whom have not been convicted of a crime and are solely in jail because they can’t afford their bail. We are criminalizing poverty. And because of the historical legacy of racism in this country, we are disproportionately criminalizing African Americans, Latinos, and Native Americans. With increased detention of immigrants under the Trump administration, private prisons are becoming more widespread and more profitable. We need real, comprehensive criminal justice reform now. We must:
- End, once and for all, the destructive “war on drugs,” including legalizing marijuana.
- Eliminate private prisons and detention centers.
- End cash bail.
- Abolish the death penalty.
- End all mandatory minimums and reinstate the federal system of parole.
- Seriously reform civil asset forfeitures.
- Bring about major police department reform.
- Prevent employers from discriminating against applicants based on criminal history by “banning the box.”